Enquire about a private course
Effective Presentation Skills – Training Course Outline
Companies increasingly require writers of reports, business cases, proposals, in fact all types of documents, to present them to boards or management teams. If you have previously concentrated only on the written documents, training in writing presentations will help you make the jump to presenting your ideas successfully. An effective presentation skills training course will increase your confidence and professionalism.
The way you present your ideas or a solution to an audience is extremely important. People like to feel they are dealing with someone who understands them and their needs, and you have one opportunity to make a good impression. You may know your subject extremely well but if you do not present it clearly and logically, your audience will doubt that you do. This course builds on your existing skills as a presenter. Polish your technique so that your presentations help you to meet your professional goals.
What you will learn on this effective presentation skills course
By the end of the course, you will know how to:
- Structure and pace a presentation for maximum impact, and avoid common mistakes Make best use of your environment and technology
- Interact with your audience: listen actively and deal with questions and interruptions
- Become aware of your body language and learn to relax
- Improve your presentation style through focussed feedback from your peers
How we deliver the Effective Presentation Skills course
It is available as a one-day tutor-led Virtual Classroom.
Delegates are asked to develop a short presentation (two to three minutes) in advance, on a topic of their choice. They will be asked to present this to the group at the beginning of the day. We will video the presentations and play them back at the end of the training session, when delegates will be encouraged to reflect on their own presentations and to provide constructive feedback to others in light of what they have learnt during the day.
Who should attend this presentation skills course?
The course is aimed at people with some presentation experience who want to improve and refine their presentation technique. If you're unsure if this course is for you, call us for more details or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What are you trying to say?
- Key questions to ask, to make sure your presentation is effective, focussed, relevant and timely
- Who is your audience? What do they want and what do they already know?
- Clear objectives keep you on track and on time
2. Preparing your presentation
- Your topic — what are the most compelling things to say?
- Structuring to guide your audience — different ways to plan your presentation so it flows logically
- Using visual aids during your presentation (including PowerPoint)
- Your own notes and handouts
When you book we send you a questionnaire which we ask you to return to us before you attend the course. This enables our Trainers to assess your needs in advance.
3. Delivering your message effectively
- Timing and synchronisation are critical!
- Quick and clear messages — who, what, where, why, how?
- Body language — are you distracting your audience or undermining your own confidence?
- Getting the language right: jargon, idioms, cultural sensitivity, accents
- Are you feeling confident?
4. Setting up your environment for maximum support
- Positioning of whiteboard, screen and presenter
- Have you checked everything?
5. Interacting with your audience
- Managing the presentation - dealing with interruptions, questions and distractions
- Listening to your audience
6. Hints and tips
- Feedback on delegates' own short presentations
If you'd like a bit more practice before you go live with an audience, we can tutor you by email and with on-line meeting software. You can give your presentation to your Plain Words trainer over the internet and we will give you feedback and advice to help you improve both your slides and delivery.