Plain Words – the Documentation and Training People
Book a private course, your choice of date and venue (office or virtual classroom)
Estimating and Planning Technical Documents – Training Course Outline
You’ve been asked to produce a budget for documentation for the next financial year. Whether you’re going to outsource or produce the Help, guides and training material in-house, how do you know how much it’s going to cost and how long it’s going to take – and how do you plan it?
What you will learn on this course
By the end of the course, you will know:
- What factors you need to consider when estimating for documentation projects
- Typical productivity rates for the various stages in the process
- A general approach to high level planning for any type of technical document
How we deliver the Estimating & Planning Technical Documents course
It is available as :
We also offer consultancy for individuals or small groups who wish to have more in-depth training. Please contact us for details.
Private courses (at your premises or online virtual classrooms)
We adopt a flexible approach so that even our standard courses are tailored to your needs. Our trainers are all professional writers as well as experienced trainers. They use their judgment on the day to adjust the content and pace of the course so that delegates get the training that is right for them. This is done by:
- Discussing your requirements with you before the course
- Assessing the pre-course questionnaires
- Discussing with the delegates at the start of the course their objectives and outcomes
- Checking throughout the day that objectives are being met.
We can also further adapt the course by:
- Alternative methods of estimating
- An overview of the planning process
When you book we send you a questionnaire which we ask you to return to us before you attend the course. This enables our Trainers to assess your needs in advance.
2. The basic principles of estimating
- Basic and detailed metrics
- Information sources
- Productivity rates
3. How to estimate for creating printed materials
- User guides and procedures
- Training material
- Advertising copy
4. How to estimate for creating online material
5. Typical metrics for the various production stages
- Drafts and reviews
- Linking, creating cross-references etc.
- Typesetting, indexing, compiling etc.
6. Tools to help you
- Basic ‘quick guide’ estimates
- More detailed estimating
Planning a document
- Clarifying your purpose
- Analysing your audience
- Selecting your information
- Designing your structure
Want Something a Little Different?
Give us a call today and we will tailor a course to suit you!
2. Clarifying your purpose
- Setting a clear objective
- Typical objectives
3. Analysing your audience
- Knowing your audience
- Questions to ask
- Dealing with a mixed audience
4. Selecting your information
- Sources of data
- Gathering information
5. Designing your structure
- Tools of the trade
- Basic structure
- Alternative structures
You can book a private course, call us on +44 (0)1235 60 30 22 or email .
Plain Words Ltd
The Documentation &
tel 01235 60 30 22
Keep your business writing current, clear and concise
All our courses are available as online remote training sessions